Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default turning old fir

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 12:18:08 -0600, Ralph E Lindberg wrote
(in message ):

Tom, there are a number of turners that prefer old-growth Doug Fir for
some of the reasons you site. Check Bill Luce's work for one
http://www.billluce.com/

yeah - I have envied his skills before. Very good stuff. The growth rings on
the fir I have are very fine and close together, compared to the examples
shown on his site. Difficult for me to work.

For drilling you might want to consider the following. Take a spade bit,
say a 1 inch, grind the top from the flat with a center point (or maybe
flat with end cutters and a center point), to something more like the
old time spoon bits (a gentle curve from center to edge. Put a cutting
edge on the new "curved" bit.

Now when you drill down, you stop at the final depth, and your bottom
center is ready for sanding. The only work you have to do there, is
making the transition from your turned area to the drilled area

I put a small o-ring on the drill shank to show me when to stop

This idea stolen from Dave Schweitzer
http://www.d-waytools.com/

Thanks for the tip.I will give it some consideration in the future.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.