Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default FIT slashed

In message , djc
writes
On 07/11/11 01:08, Andrew wrote:
On 06/11/2011 22:19, Roger Chapman wrote:

Unless you are a higher rate tax payer the only persons who are going to
get any real benefit from an all share ISA are the agent who sold you
the scheme and the firm that administers the ISA.

Not true. My ISA is self invested in whatever I choose, shares, bonds,
etfs, gilt funds, unit trusts, investment trusts etc. No-one sold it to
me, I opened it years ago and it now worth 6 figures. The freedom
from CGT alone has made it worthwhile, despite hiccups with BP shares
in 2010, 75% loss on Barclays bank and theft of railtrack shares by that
money-grabbing lying cheat Byers.

[...]

Only stupid people use 'independent financial advisers'. A fool and his
money are soon parted, and that applies to anyone dealing with a
salesman who is on commission. Anyway, just because an investment has
turned out badly, doesn't mean that you were badly advised.
An IFA should asses what your level of risk is before suggesting
any particular products, but just remember that they are paid
by commission (until 2012).

[...]

Some people like managing their money, just as other DIYers like cabinet
making or decorating. But not everyone has the skill, the knowledge, nor
talent and favourable circumstance. If you DIY and it turns out well for
you fine, but others look upon self-made disasters and choose to
get-a-man-in. In which case the problem with finance as with every other
form of not-DIY is how to find a reliable competent tradesman these days.

Congratulations on skilfully bringing this part of the thread back OT
--
hugh