Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default More newbie stuff

"Bill" wrote in message
On 11/7/2011 8:42 AM, Vic Baron wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On 11/6/2011 7:48 PM, Vic Baron wrote:
Tools sharp - balance fine - it's my technique for sure. The main
problem is after I've hollowed out the sides and am using the scraper
flatten out the bottom. Probably pushing too hard.

I've turned a fair amount, perhaps not as much as some here, but
enough that I can generally concentrate on what I want to make rather
than how (see the gallery page on my web site, www.wbnoble.com under
hobbies) - anyway, I really don't like scrapers, I find them catch
prone and dangerous, I rarely use them and then only in shear with the
scraper very lightly touching the wood - for flattening a bowl bottom
I use the same gouge I hollowed it with - typically a 1/2 to 5/8 gouge
with a very swept back fingernail grind. MY guess is that you are
cutting too broad a swath and if you went to something much thinner
(in cutting width) you would fare better -

But then aren't you just using the tip of the gouge as a scraper? My
little cup for example is just 2 1/2 inched in diameter. So for the
bottom, only the tip would contact until it got to the sides. I'm having
difficulty visualizing the cut. I assume you push the gouge - level - in
the center - rotate it to about 9 or 10 o'clock while pulling across the
bottom to the outside wall, then pulling the gouge out along the wall.

I'm having a tough time with that cut - since I really can't see inside
the hole, I'm still having a tough time 'feeling' the bevel, if you
understand what I mean. But, that's what practice is for. Still can't
make a v cut with a skew either!

Vic

when I am cutting from center to edge of a bowl or jar, I use the
fingernail ground gouge, as I said. I start at the center with the gouge
turned 90 deg so the sharp edges are facing me, and then rotate it
clockwise a few degrees so it cuts and then bring it towards me
controlling the cut by increasing or decreasing the rotation of the gouge.
When I am cutting in the other direction, e.g. from edge to center (which
is what I prefer to get thin walls), I start with the same 90 deg
orientation but with the sharp edges facing the tailstock and then rotate
a degree or so counterclockwise - so in both cases I'm cutting with the
trailing edge. I can make a cut from a thin wisp of a shaving to a 1/4
inch deep by 5/8 inch wide mammoth steaming shaving by adjusting the angle
of attack and pressure - I only have 2 HP on the lathe, so with larger
stuff I have to modulate the cut to avoid stalling the motor, but even a
fairly large bowl hollows out in a few minutes.

so, no, not scraping, cutting. if you are getting shavings, you are
cutting, if you are getting dust, you are not.

hope this helps.

OK I see it now. I've been rewatching Raffan's videos and some of the
youtube ones with a better eye. I sure wish some of these people who make
videos would take a close-up of the cutting edges. Seems to me you can do a
lot of stuff with a gouge depending on how you present it to the wood.
Have to glue up some more pine blocks and keep practicing.

Thanx again.

Vic