Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Trailer brakes

On 11/8/2011 12:34 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message

On a boat trailer that gets a salt water dipping, I can barely keep
the tail lights and wheel bearings running.

Trailer brakes are a flash in the pan.

You really have to seal those tail lights well. I've used a whole tube
of silicone caulk to seal two lights. I loosen the lenses and caulk
under the rim; cover the screws with caulk before driving them in; and
seal the wires inside and out. On the outside, after applying a gob
really well, I forced silicone into a strip of fiberglass cloth and
wrapped it around the wires until they were too stiff to move at the
light housing.

That made a big difference on a trailer that was dunked at least once a
week for 25 years. As for the bearings, I'd hose them every trip and
re-pack every other trip. I made a re-packing fixture out of two pieces
of aluminum die plate and a Zerk fitting. It made re-packing a
five-minute job, and it forced grease from one side of the bearing to
the other.

That, sandblasting, and a coat of zinc-filed epoxy brushed on the
trailer frame, and then covered with Rustoleum, kept it in good shape
for many years.

On that particular subject, I doubt it will ever go into the water.

The travel-hoist cost less than replacing all the rusted stuff..