Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29635 Ignoramus29635 is offline

Default Foorklist questions: tires and side shift

On 2011-11-08, jeff wrote:
On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:12:46 -0600, Ignoramus14302
wrote:

I have taken a few pictures of my indoor forklift.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Nissan-Forklift/

My first question, do you think that tires need replacement ($700) or
not? Pressing new tires is $700.

My second question is about the side shift. I looked at it and it is
clearly not connected to the forklift in any way. There is two
hydraulic nipples on the reel mount and no lines going to the
forklift.

Why can this be so, realistically, and do you think that it is an easy
DIY job to fix? Do you think that they unhooked it because it was
leaking? Or what would be the typical reason?:

thanks

Upon second look... no sideshift cylinder.. the sideshifter had
plates welded to the carriage locking it in place. Why someone would
do this rather then repair is beyond me... What else may have been
repaired on the cheap?

As far as other replies as to sideshifts causing roll overs, All
lifts are rated for specific loads at certain heights with
attachments, a sideshifter being an attachment. If all is well with
the lift and an operator isn't doing anything stupid then a lift will
not tip over. Then again with the stupid factor, all bets are off.

I will look at it again tomorrow or the day after.