Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan[_7_] Jordan[_7_] is offline

Default Punch holes with a flypress?

On 11/8/2011 4:52 AM, Ted Frater wrote:
Jordan wrote:
I'm wondering what the capabilities are of a couple of flypresses I
have

Fly presses are great tools for all sorts of work. For punching holes to
bending or blanking out metal shapes.
As youve a 300lb one set that up first.
you might find the following useful.

Thank you Ted.
That looks like good info indeed, just what I need at this stage.

The larger flypress I have does have wear in the T slots in the base.
They are sort of curved underneath where the bolt heads would have
beared, curiously. I guess it wore that way from much use. Also, there's
some wear in the screw. Otherwise the ram is adjustable and seems fine.
I did occur to me at first, to cut up this press for its cast iron, as
it was very cheap and pretty thick in places. But I don't think I can
bring myself to do that, unless I find out that it doesn't work properly.