Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Small engine (Tecumseh) question

"Steve B" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
news
Hank wrote:
-snip-

What I would do, in order.............

Loosen the gas cap to make sure air can get in. No cost
Remove air cleaner and see how it runs. No cost

At this point, I'd dump the gas - remove carb bowl and clean it
[careful not to mess up float] - and refill with fresh gas.
[then back to Hank's list]

-snip-
I wouldn't waste time cleaning a carb, myself. You can buy a new one
for $40-50, install it in 20 minutes and *know* you've got a good
carb. There are lots of tiny gaskets, rings and passages in a carb
that you can only get to with solvent [if at all]- and you don't know
if you've fixed a carb or made it worse when you rebuild and replace.

Just my opinion- I'm probably batting about 800 lifetime on
rebuilding carbs. but those 3-4 that I wasted hours and dollars on
and *still* had to replace, make the quick change the way I go these
days.

Jim

Some of those carbs have a float bowl that is only held on by a single nut
or bolt. Taking it off and looking at what is inside, tossing it, filling
it with gas, and putting it up and down up into the float to clean any
residual crud is worth fifty bucks to me. Takes about two minutes. That's
$1500 an hour.

We're not disagreeing here. That is exactly how much effort I'd put
into cleaning a carb. If it has to come off the engine- it goes in
the trash.

Jim