Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Load center replacement

On Nov 6, 9:58*am, bud-- wrote:
On 11/4/2011 1:01 PM, bob haller wrote:

YOUR* link to a report from the "Pennsylvania Department of Community
and Economic Development" says "properly installed and unaltered K&T
wiring is not an inherent fire hazard".

please show me some homes with 100 year old unaltered K&T. after 100
years or more most if not all homes have had wiring changes....

So? My mothers old house that is now over 120 years old had added
outlets in many locations including kitchen, laundry, bath. The 30A
service was upgraded to 100A. All was more recent wiring with ground.

the worst part of K&T is there are no boxes and the wiring and
connections are buried in walls and cant be looked at.......

There you go again... Almost all K&E I have seen had boxes.

Running a service truck for years I ran across 2 soldered connections
that failed. One was K&T. The other was BX. Both were "cold" solder
joints when installed.

*YOUR* source, the "Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic
Development", says "properly installed and unaltered K&T wiring is not
an inherent fire hazard".

Where is the actuarial record of K&T hazard and record that K&T is
significantly worse than other wiring methods. In the only case that has
been posted here the insurance company couldn't come up with actuarial data.

open the wall to inspect makes it mandatory to upgrade the wiring.....

Bull****. Where do you get this crap?

K&T is even still in the NEC.

and few people today want homes that cant be insulated, and at the
pittsburgh home show every insulating company refused to insulate a
home with K&T stating their business insurance wouldnt allow it..I
asked every vendor there......

*YOUR* source, the "Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic
Development", in YOUR state, insulates over K&T.

Bud face facts K&T isnt as safe as modern wiring just like a 1950s
vehicle isnt as safe in a accident as a new vehicle.

You aren't as modern as a 20 year old. Take the "Soylent Green" solution.

If I was picking a wiring method I least wanted to see it might be early
2 wire romex with paper/tar jacket.

Electricians opinions here and on Holt's site don't share your fetish
that K&T is a big problem. It is still in the NEC.

And you forgot about fuses. You say they can't be insured. Clare and my
State Farm agent say you are wrong.

in a test wreck of a 1957 bel air and a 2009 malibu the malibu driver
would of walked away while the bel air driver would of died from
multiple causes.....

Oh what a relevant comparison.

Old 2x4s are larger than they are now and thus stronger. If you have the
new 2x4s you need to replace them before the building collapses.

The last time I worked on a PA project no one had to be licensed and
there was no state inspection. That was starting with an old warehouse,
installing a much larger service, and adding motors including one that
was too large to start across-the-line. State Farm knows your whole
state should be bulldozed and start over.

Like Evan, you think what (allegedly) is true where you are is true
everywhere. Others have said you are wrong where they are. My State Farm
agent says you are wrong here.

But reality doesn't matter to someone with a fetish. You just continue
to spread FUD.

--
bud--

ultimately a homeowner attempting to sell will find out wether any
perspective buyer can obtain homeowners insurance at the time of
sale... if i a purcase aggrement all repairs must be done by licensed
bonded insured contractor, that can run up costs dramatically/.

but has zero effect on me......

do tell besides K&T what other things last over a 100 years?

how many unaltered K&T installs are still around?

K&T around here typically has no boxes.

in a lifetime how many cars have you purchased? certinally a model T
should be fine? why buy a new one, shouldnt it last forever?