Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default more paint questions

On 11/6/2011 8:53 AM, wrote:
(homophobic drivel snipped)

Latex paint cans always say to keep from freezing. I would
guess that the consequences of it freezing would vary depending on the
exact paint formulation and how hard it
freezes.

If it's inside a garage of a house, it will take sustained temps
well below freezing outside before it will freeze inside. If it's
stored well inside the garage, close to heated part of the house, it
can probably go down to 20F or less without freezing
the paint. However, since it's a few cans of paint, if there is
any chance of it getting that cold, why not just put it somewhere safe?

Agreed- why take chances? Make sure cans are well sealed and still
liquid (IOW, shake them), and nicely ask current tenants if there is a
spot inside they could be stashed. Present it as 'in case I ever need to
do a wall repair, having the exact paint right here will make the repair
go faster and easier, and not look like a patch'. If they have no safe
place, take it home with you, and mark what address it belongs to.

I'm still using 5 YO leftover exterior latex, for spot repairs on my
**** siding, and it works fine and covers well. I keep it in the heated
basement, well off the floor so cans don't rust.

--
aem sends...