Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default What are reasonable expectations for cabinet craftsmanship?

On Nov 6, 8:28*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 11/5/2011 10:08 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

We are getting custom made cabinets at about $1200/linear foot.
Plywood cabinets with stained oak faces. Mission style with inset
doors.

1. The first picture shows the gap between two cabinet doors that
close towards each other:

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap1.jpg

I think that the gap is too big. Or should I expect a 1/4" gap?

2. The second picture shows the gap between the box and the face. It's
on the left of the pictu

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap2.jpg

There are some strange nail-looking things in that gap as if it was
intentional. But I'm not sure what its purpose might be.

Thank you in advance for all the input!

Sam your cabinets are ALREADY falling apart!!!!!

Demand a refund.

And then slap the guy for me. What he did is downright insulting to
craftsmen everywhere.

That exposed biscuit looks bone dry. It's possible that the cabinet
was test-assembled dry, and then they forgot to take it apart and glue
it up. Check all of the other cabinets to see if their face frames
also have a gap to the cabinet body (carcase). Give a yank on the
face frames to see if they pull away from the carcases.