Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default What are reasonable expectations for cabinet craftsmanship?

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:08:29 -0700 (PDT), Sam Takoy
wrote:

Hi,

We are getting custom made cabinets at about $1200/linear foot.
Plywood cabinets with stained oak faces. Mission style with inset
doors.

1. The first picture shows the gap between two cabinet doors that
close towards each other:

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap1.jpg

I think that the gap is too big. Or should I expect a 1/4" gap?

I would expect 1/8", or so. You can't adjust the doors? Modern hardware
makes this easy. If they didn't use decent hardware, you got taken.

2. The second picture shows the gap between the box and the face. It's
on the left of the pictu

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap2.jpg

The gap should be adjustable, too. The job they did on the shelf pin holes is
crappy, too. I like the wood, but those pin holes should *not* be split out.
It looks like the plywood delaminated when they drilled it (with a dull
nail?). Very bad!

There are some strange nail-looking things in that gap as if it was
intentional. But I'm not sure what its purpose might be.

Thank you in advance for all the input!

Sam