Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What are reasonable expectations for cabinet craftsmanship?

On 11/5/2011 11:08 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

We are getting custom made cabinets at about $1200/linear foot.
Plywood cabinets with stained oak faces. Mission style with inset
doors.

1. The first picture shows the gap between two cabinet doors that
close towards each other:

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap1.jpg

I think that the gap is too big. Or should I expect a 1/4" gap?

2. The second picture shows the gap between the box and the face. It's
on the left of the pictu

http://freeboundaries.com/Gap2.jpg

There are some strange nail-looking things in that gap as if it was
intentional. But I'm not sure what its purpose might be.

Thank you in advance for all the input!

Sam

I'd be (politely at first) inviting the owner of the cabinet company
over for a look-see. Looks like sub-standard work to me, especially the
second picture. Those shelf-peg holes aren't even deburred, and they
didn't draw the face frame up to the box during assembly- that is a glue
biscuit showing in the gap. They MAY be able to do a field repair, but
if the side panel is out of square, the base cabinet may need to be rebuilt.

--
aem sends...