charlie b

Default How Much Wood Are You Willing to ?Waste? -reply to David

David Hall wrote:

I was interested and anticipated a good lesson on wood use and
matching until this point. I cannot offer any insight as I cannot see
myself having any such problem with respect to shop cabinets. They are
lucky to get "good" construction grade plywood, let alone cherry
plywood and emotionally baggaged book matched bearclaw pine paneled
doors. Still, after reading the rest I am glad there are those who get
so introspective on their shop furniture and assume their in-the-house
furniture must be fantastic.

Dave Hall

Dave:

Sorry about disappointing you. If nothing else, perhaps you'll
make the grain in your next piece a major consideration - or not.

Since I'm a relative newbie, each piece of shop furniture is an
opportunity to try new to me things - from joinery to finishes.
Each piece of shop furniture does what it was intended to do
and, sometimes - looks nice - to me. It doesn't have to look or
be fantastic. I do try to do the best I can do with what I've got
and what I've learned so far. And yes, I have an emotional
attachment to the woods in my shop, something that was missing
when I made jewelry. Even then I looked for unusual stones
and unique ways of integrating them into a piece.

You'd be surprised at how an interesting story about a piece can
influence a potential customer and what that can do to the price.
Even if it's just a story to you - then think in terms of your
bottom line.

I'm blessed with the time, the tools, the eye/hand coordination
and the wood to be able to make things that satisfy me - both in
the making and later in the enjoyment of the finished piece. For
some reason, wood just seems to find me - 8/4 spalted maple- 10"
wide by 10 feet at 75% off. the bear clawed boards or the
Mae West quilted maple at least 75% off,

AND this stuff talks to me - here are some of the conversations
(all one line)
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...sWithWood.html

I've got a place full of chinese rosewood furniture so the only
place I can make pieces for is the shop. As a woodworker, I'm
sure you understand how humbling it can be to live with
furniture of that quality and the lesson in humility such
furniture provides - daily. OK - so kitchen cabinets
are a "house furniture" possibility and the sharpening station
cabinet is great practice.

If you thought I had a lot of emotional baggage connected
to the bear clawed wood - wait 'til I get to working with
the pieces of The Sentinal I band sawed from mini logs of
this 300 year old sycamore that the City of San Jose took
down! (actually they took most of it dow - it's still
alive though now much shorter).

(al one line)
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/SentinalSawing.html

babble and ramlble mode - OFF