Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ghostrecon Ghostrecon is offline

Default FIT slashed

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 21:59:08 +0000, Roger Chapman wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

"Ghostrecon" wrote in message

e.g positron emmision tomography - IIRC isotope of oxygen t1/2=6 hours

Now that is highly radioactive unlike that low radioactive stuff, like
plutonium.

but plutonium is very poisonous.

I very nearly made the same comment but I thought I had better check
first. The Merkins apparently think you should have left the 'very' out.

"Health Effects of Plutonium
How can plutonium affect people's health?

External exposure to plutonium poses very little health risk, since
plutonium isotopes emit alpha radiation, and almost no beta or gamma
radiation. In contrast, internal exposure to plutonium is an extremely
serious health hazard. It generally stays in the body for decades,
exposing organs and tissues to radiation, and increasing the risk of
cancer. Plutonium is also a toxic metal, and may cause damage to the
kidneys."

all alpha emitters are bad news when inside the body - and have little
effect outside = from them radiation POV. OTOH most if not all 'heavy'
metals are toxic in the more conventional sense
--