Bob Eager

Default Wiring Regs - Rationale

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:30:50 UTC, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

the view re 2.5mm.sq unfused spurs from 2.5mm.sq ring mains (Type B CB at

32A).
My personal view is that it's not acceptable on grounds of cable rating -
but it used to be allowed. Anyone know why this changed?

I have not heard that it has changed. I am still under the impression that a
2.5mm cable is fine for a spur to a single or double 13A socket. Overload
protection is provided by the plug top fuse. Short circuit (and earth fault)
protection is provided by the MCB, so earth loop impedences (including the
reduced cross sectional area spur) have to be calculated. Why do you think
this situation has changed? Have I missed something?

I'd like to know too. I can see that (diversity aside) it would be
possible to plug in two 3kW appliances into a double socket on a spur,
each with 13A plugtop fuses. That would generate a moderate overload
for 2.5mmsq. cable.

I have one spur wired with 2.5mmsq....now wondering!
--
"Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that
there must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable,