Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FIT slashed

The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:23:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:25:06 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Also if my PV packs in, it is not a national disaster as it would
be
if a major primary substation/power station had problems.
Umm .. when did that happen last with serious consequences?..
Sizewell B and Longannet going off line in quick succesion with the
loss of 1,510,000 kW generation gave the grid summat to think about
in May 2008. Load was shed, ie people had power cuts and most of the
country noticed the dip in voltage and then further voltage
reductions.

That's no worse than the wind dying over the whole country. We are
having to cope with that sort of loss on a weekly basis now.

It's a lot worse, the incident mentioned above happened in a two
minute timescale. If the wind suddenly stopped across the UK in the
space of 2 minutes I'd get really worried.

very easy to have a have overspeedinmg turbinesand switch whole wind
farms - 7000MW + off just like that.

P.S. I despise wind power.

I despise all intermittent renewable energy on the UK

I can just about make an economic/carbon reduction case for windmills in
desolate places near to large hydroelectric dams.

Anything else is a green con.