Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What causes this?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 20:46:59 -0700, wrote:

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 05:26:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:56:23 -0700,
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 03:20:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

From my careful scientific observation: Mo' current, mo' bubbles.

A truly "Duh!" moment, was it?

Ah, but I wish it was all that simple. I just rigged up my new set-up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

(and the next two pics)

Y'know, that looks like a januwine termite barf inlaid Harbor Freight
workmutt clone that your etch tank is resting upon. I sold mine in my
garage sale a few months ago. Nice power supply, sir.

The results are beautiful, but then I could do the small pieces with
negative etching quite well before. The thing that was interesting was
the unidirectional movement of the hydrogen bubbles *away* from the
anode.

Yeah, that's fun. Now reverse the polarity and see what happens!
silly grinne

The proof of the pudding will happen in a day or so when I shall
repeat the etch that sparked the OP.

G'luck!

[...]

Is this entirely sacrificial, or can you reuse electrolyte?

CuSO4 I re-use all the time. Just top up the wastage and evaporation.
Salt and vinegar needs to be fresh for the reasons above.

Cool. That's an inexpensive bath.

Those pretty blue crystals are good for poison oak/ivy, too. Make a
solution and pad it on the affected area. It'll make your skin crawl
for a few minutes but it removes the oil, the itch, and the spread.
I haven't noted any toxic feeling afterward, but it's a 1-time bath.

Here they use them to kill roots in septic tanks. Actually I am using
a commercial solution sold by jewelers' supply company for copper
plating. I do have a bunch of CuSO4 crystals which I will go to next
when I run out of the current solution.

Doesn't it kill the beneficial bacteria, too?

Anyway, I moved onto brass today which I thought I had pretty much
worked out. I did two small plates and observed some really weird
behavior. OTOH I do not care as long as the result is OK.

Got eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and
a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be
used as evidence against us?

You lost me there. Something to do with Mchael Jackson perhaps?

Newp, I don't have anything to do with the Jacksons, ever.

We must have hit the cultural divide between our countries.
Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant" is a cult classic here in the
States. Listen to it and weep: http://goo.gl/qsb8K

I seem to remember a movie of similar name. About 1970? I was never
into the hippie thing.

Yes, 1969, starring Arlo Guthrie his own self.

Another cultured fave is "The Motorcycle Song" http://goo.gl/Scw2p
"I don't want a pickle. Just wanna ride on my motorsickle."

OBTW, this is folk culture, not opera or symphony or sumpin'.

Your culture. I shall stick to "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor
on the bedpost overnight?", "Calendar song" and other such
masterpieces.

Um, OK. cringe

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates