Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Grout Vs Caulk at corner of shower floor/wall

On 11/4/2011 3:43 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 11/4/2011 12:31 PM, HelpMe wrote:

I have a 2 year old shower that is ceramic tile on the floors& on
the walls. It is grouted where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles. The
grout on two of these wall/floor areas is cracking where the grout meets
the tile (both the wall tile& the floor tile). How to I repair this.
Remove old grout& then caulk? Can I just caulk over the grout that is
pulling from the tile? Put clear silicone caulk over the cracking areas?
Regrout this area?
Please HELP !!!

corners are especially bad for grout cracks. they should have been
caulked instead. you probably need to remove the grout and caulk to get
a final solution.

No need to go overboard removing the grout...just enough for the caulk
to grab into (it sticks to the surface of the tile ennyhoo). Joints
where walls meet walls or floors should be caulked because the walls
expand/contract enough to crack grout; caulk flexes.