David Hearn

Default Drilling and cutting porcelain tiles?

"Rafal" wrote in message
Hi all

Just heard few horror stories about drilling and cutting porcelain tiles,
people snapping drill bits etc.
Is this just a question of not using diamond drill?
What are the best methods of drilling /small and large holes/ in porcelain
floor tiles and cutting them in shapes?

I've happily drilled 6mm holes in tiles using a standard masonry bit. I've
noticed that my 5mm bit (which is mostly unused) seems to work better, which
I believe to be because it has a sharper point (because its practicially
unused) which gets through the glaze. I also use masking tape over the
planned hole first which helps stop the drill from slipping at first. Once
the glaze has been pierced the bit doesn't slip as easily.

Not sure if porcelain drilling is different from ceramic though.