Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default Sharpening stones

On Oct 31, 11:35*am, jtpr wrote:
I want to get a sharpening stone to bring the edge back on my carbide tipped turning tools. *But I would like to be able to use it for other sharpening tasks as well, like chisels and planes and knives. *I don't want to go broke here.

Anyway it seems I probably need 2, a course and a fine. *I was hoping to find somebody who made a dual sided block, but I guess not. *Who would you all recommend that is the best bang for the buck?

I think you're SOL.

Nothing short of diamond is going to work on carbide. A diamond
plate or slip will wear out (I guess the diamond get crushed.) so
you probably do not want to waste it on anything but carbide.

For steel there are numerous choices. The cheapest is scary sharp
(google it) which works as well as anything else. The most compact
setup that works fast and produces as fine an edge as scary sharp
would probably be a couple or three waterstones.

Other stones work too, depending on just how keen you want the edge.

--

FF