Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default 4" or 6" vacuum

On Nov 4, 1:05*pm, mike wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I need to build a vacuum with a 4" or 6" hose to pick up leaves. *My smaller
Ridgid and other vacs clog too easily with leaves. *Anyone know of a site
with simple directions and basics on such a thing? *Might I use a big
barrel, and buy TWO smaller shop vacs and use TWO suction motors on it?

Other ideas for a simple effective vacuum? *Doesn't have to be that
powerful, just for leaves. *Just a big hose to avoid clogging.

Steve

Where is the clog?
Clogging should be reduced if the size of the initial opening is the
smallest
diameter in the system. *But if the leaves won't fit in that hole,
it'll clog at the mouth. *But, at least, you can easily unclog that
on the fly.
Other thing to look for is discontinuities in the system. *Joints with
protrusions that can catch leaves. *Ditto for deflectors. My shop vac
has a right angle bend right inside *where the hose attaches. *BAD, BAD, BAD
for clogs.

I've thought about putting some kind of shredding blade right at the input.