Stephen M

Default help getting my shop organized!

For appropriate items (nails, deck screws etc) I have coffee cans in 1x5
shelves spaced just higher than a standard cofee can. The next shelf
functions as a lid to keep most dust out. The cans are painted colors and
numbered. All green cans are sheetrock or deck screws, yellow cans are
finish nails etc. The numbers on the cans are nothing more than a sequence
number... they can be a size if you want ... but after a while you just
remember that 2" deck scres are in can number 4 and if the number is higher
the size is bigger.

There is also a mental/discipline aspect to organizing.

I recently reduced clutter by going from one end of the shop to the other
and packing away "someplace" all the piles of supplies or tools that did not
have a "proper home". This tool several hours. Mentally I had to get over
"waiting to build an optimal storage system" for everything. I have found
that a so-so strorage system for all items is way better than none at all.

For the past 2 months I have really tried to be disciplined about putting
things away and sweeping up and it have made working in the shop much more
pleasant.

-Steve

"dhmeiser" wrote in message
om...
HI All,

It seems that my ISP does not allow posting to groups only downloading
so I am using google post! (sorry if this becomes a duplicate posting)

After becoming totally frustruated at my workshop I have decided to
knucle
down and get the place organized. OK how about sharing your tips and
methods for keeping such things as your hand power tools, their
accessories
organized. How do you keep such items as nails, screws and other
hardware
sorted and redably available. Also how do you keep small items shuch
as
screw bits and such orderly.

I would like to have input on what has worked and what has failed.

Right now I have two locations for my tools one is in the upper
section of
my barn where my big power tools are located, tablesaw, Joiner, RAS
are
located. the other tools tend to "float" between my bacement the barn.
The
barn is unheated so this time of year I don't use it as much as the
bacement. One of the ways I have tried (unscucessfully) was to put the
tools
in toolboxes labled with the function of tools (general, electrical,
plumbing ...) So what has worked for you and what hasn't?

Thanks,
Dave M