Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Well problems

On 11/3/2011 2:07 PM, noname87 wrote:
Yes, we do have a health department that put restrictions on wells
built after 1970. The new rules will probably limit me to a 200 sqft
area on my estate of .6 acres. The rest is either too close to the
spectic (must be100ft) or structure (25) or is covered by cement
(driveway, etc). Unfortunately, the former owner put in a large
driveway and a very large slab of cement that he used as an skate
park. I guess after that, he couldn't afford the well.

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/ag469.html

Note the above includes the fact that drillers must be registered in NC
and perhaps in your county.

While it doesn't mention who's responsible for the site environmental
impact, I'd think it a requirement from the runoff and other control
that they do so and I'd not let them abdicate that responsibility to me.
If you can't get satisfaction in how that's going to get done I'd
suggest starting w/ the locals and then the NC Ground Water group in the
NC Dept of Environment, Health, ... I know a guy (geologist) in that
group in Raleigh (he grew up here and his Dad is still here so he's here
off and on) and he's talked at length about their oversight in the
coffee shop mornings when he's been here visiting so I know they're
pretty serious in Raleigh, anyway.