Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Well problems

On 11/3/2011 1:07 PM, noname87 wrote:
I do have a septic system,

I have never run out of water.

Sharing a well would probably not be an option. I doubt my nieghbors
would go for it. They are good people but I am sure a share well would
have an impact on the house value.

The drillers I talked to basically said to expect to have multiple new
cracks in the driveway. In their defense, I can't see how they can
avoid it. What I find distrubing is that they seem to have the idea
that their job stops at drillinfg the hole. Any mess including the
material from the well and the runoff seems to be my problem.
Considering that they plan in drilling a 10" hole to bedrock (50-70')
and then another 200 feet at 6", there could be mess. It appears that
they are use to new construction where the builder handles the clean
up.

Even though you haven't actually run out, sucking air is evident that it
may not stay that way particularly if continue drought and if there's
other neighbor pressure on the aquifer.

The really serious issue in my mind is the apparent contamination issue
from groundwater--that _might_ be repairable, might not, but you would
have to discover the entry source. As noted, it's certainly a health
concern if not (yet) an actual problem and should certainly as noted
earlier get a water test to ensure don't have high coliform or other
contaminants.

They _can_ timber the drive to spread the load and prevent breaking it
up; it's not dealing w/ stuff like that routinely that I found in E TN
just seemed to not be on the radar whereas what I was/am used to is that
it's just part of the routine to avoid tearing up anything that was
worth saving (as a decent driveway generally would be more expensive to
replace as compared to spreading out a few timbers first before backing
over it). A bobtail drill rig is big, but not _that_ big but what it's
certainly doable w/o really major hassle.

Is there a county health ordinance in place and/or other regulating
body? I'm not directly familiar w/ NC outside Wake County; even TN has
at least minimal requirements now although didn't when we first got
there in the late 70s had by the early 90s. Those mandated at least the
locations acceptable wrt septic and leach fields, and were required.
One would think there are enough wells dug that the cleanup etc would be
pretty routine altho if it is like TN was early in our time there they
could be used to just dumping over the side of the hill out of sight and
call it good...