Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Sharpening stones

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:43:43 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

Is this the one you refer to? I thought these might be good for the carbide tips. Plus, I could do up to a 1" chisel.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W7EFC-Diam...093725&sr=1-16

Jim

I use something like this for touching up carbide, I like having the
handle but it may make no real difference:

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-D2F-Dia-Sh...0334628&sr=1-1

When I sharpen my chisels I want a lot more room to work with. I want
my chisels to be much sharper than I can get from a DMT diamond stone,
and for that I need to be able to flatten the back and have it honed
to a very fine surface (mirror polish) and then grind the bevel and
sharpen the very edge of the bevel to a similarly fine level.

An inexpensive way to get started in that is to use the "scary sharp"
system, which uses sandpaper or similar abrasives, with sheet of flat
glass and a honing guide. But over the long haul I have switched to a
grinder and waterstones because sandpaper quickly wears out.

Jim W.