Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Conex Boxes on Cargo Ship in Ocean Storm

On Nov 3, 12:47*am, wrote:
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:45:06 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

This is how they are locked together.
http://www.tandemloc.com/0_securing/S_AD54000A.asp

The lock on the hull is similar but works from the side.
Plus they usually lock every other row together with a device that looks
like a bar clamp with hooh pade.

Great new information to me. I always wondered about how this was
accomplished but never really investigated it. The forces on those
components must become massive in rolling seas like those in the
video. Any defect in their manufacture could lead to serious problems
at sea.
Dave

The key to making container ships viable was the locking system,
invented in the 1960s. The inventor of that system just recently died.