Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Sharpening HSS Parting Blades

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 23:21:33 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:33:40 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I've been using box cutters to score thin sheets of Phosphor-Bronze so
I can break off strips, but it is a tedious process, and as a result
I'm looking for a better way.

Is it plausible to pick up so parting blades and sharpen them top a
knifes edge on a grinder? I thought perhaps I could then make some
sort of handle to hold them while I used them on the Phosphor-Bronze.

I know this would be an unconventional use for parting blades and any
better ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island,New York.

================================================ ===============

Yeah, you can sharpen them to an edge. But it's kind of a waste. It sounds
like what you want is something like a Murphy shop knife. I make them out
of
old power-hacksaw blades, which are generally made of HSS.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/910-0744/

However, my experience with grinding the teeth off of a HSS power-hacksaw
blade, and then shaping it, is that I eat up so much of the grinding wheel
that I would have been better off buying one.

I just happen to have a box of unused Sandvik power-hacksaw blades and some
old grinding wheels.

Use a 4" angle grinder to rough out the blades and the bench/pedestal
grinder only to finish the blade. Ot just finish them with a flap
wheel.

--
John B.

That's a good tip, and, in fact, that's exactly what I did the last time,
except that I already had a wheel on my 6" Milwaukee angle-head, which made
fairly quick work of it.

I also used one of those blades to make a drawknife. Man, those teeth are
tough to grind off.

I don't do it that way. I rough cut them to shape with a 4 ",1mm
cutting wheel. A bit of touch up on the edges for shape and grind the
tapered edge and hit 'em a lick with a flap wheel and Bobs your uncle.

--
John B.