Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Stihl Chainsaw running too fast

wrote:
It's an older saw I bought at a garage sale. Runs well, except it
runs way too fast. There is no idle when I release the trigger.
However, if I push downward on the trigger button, it slows down to
idle. In other words, the problem is in the trigger itself, not a
carb adjustment screw.

My question is what is causing the trigger to not slow down. It's in
the handle, so I'm not sure how to even get to it. When I remove the
top air cleaner cover, I can see the rod that goes to the carb from
the trigger, and when I apply downward pressure on the trigger that
rod is pulled back and the saw slows.

Is this a common problem on these saws? How do I fix it?

Just worked on my fathers last week.

Stihl MS290 farm boss

"Star" screw under the end of the handle will allow removeing the black top of
the handle. the right size flat blade screwdriver will work on it is you don't
have the "star" bit.

There's a spring steel rod that clips under the safety latch on the left side. I
don't remember whether the throttle spring is anything additional than the
spring on the carb.

The parts pages on the Stihl site will help a lot.