Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default more newbie observations

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:41:41 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Kevin.. I was the OP.. Used hex head screws into pilot holes,
tightened with a socket.ratchet..

No catch.. was removing bark wirh a cardbide tool (with tailsdtock)
and it started to wobble.. I turned off the lathe at about the same
time as the wood fell off..

All I can think of is that the vibrations backed the screws out....
never had anything like this happen before..

On 11/01/2011 10:03 PM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 07:54:42 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

em... you do know that face-plate is really not for end-grain work, for
the very reason you just learned

Yep.. My exception is for wet wood..
Never had a piece that was wet and green come off, even end grain..

I'm not a fan of faceplates and don't use them often..

I don't use them much, but when I do I use sheet metal screws. They
hold well. Of course, you have to pre-drill the holes. The bit should
be the same diameter as the shank of the screw. If you don't pre-drill
or use too small of a bit you'll crush the wood fibers, weakening them.

Of course, you need to be screwing into sound wood as well.

The OP said he had the tailstock up as well as the faceplate. Me thinks
he must have had a major catch. If the piece is supported on both ends
I have a really hard time seeing it coming off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I
think there's more to this story than was written up...