Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Is acetone more greasy now?

Residue is more critical for certain purposes.

I generally use lacquer thinner as a final cleaner for many things, although
naptha solvents are generally good enough for most purposes such as
painting.
Denatured alcohol is my secondary solvent.

There is a grade of acetone that that can be purchased from a pharmacy.. a
friend operating a electronic repair shop used to use it for cleaning video
heads and the various mechanical parts in the tape path.

You might try MEK if the residue you're seeing is interfering with what you
need as far as clean surfaces. I haven't used it in quite a long time, and
recently noticed it's not as readily available as it was a few years ago,
but it generally gets metal very clean.

And then there's brake cleaners and other nasty formulas for certain
cleaning purposes.

--
WB

wrote in message
I use a fair bit of acetone. I have always accepted that it leaves a
bit of an oily residue. Recently I have been finding a *lot* of oily
residue. Is it just a rogue bottle or has anyone else noticed this? If
so is the likely cause cutting costs during production?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC