Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Is acetone more greasy now?

wrote in message ...

I use a fair bit of acetone. I have always accepted that it leaves a
bit of an oily residue. Recently I have been finding a *lot* of oily
residue. Is it just a rogue bottle or has anyone else noticed this? If
so is the likely cause cutting costs during production?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I haven't noticed any change lately, but commercial grades of acetone
contain a lot of reprocessed material from large commercial recovery
operations. It's notoriously oily and is avoided by boat manufacturers, for
example, who use acetone to clean the wax off of surfacing-grade polyester
resin before applying furniture laminations and so on. I don't know what
they call the virgin grade but that's what you need, if the oil causes a
problem for you.

This has been true for decades. I learned it when I worked in a molding
plant for Ranger Yachts, back in 1973.

--
Ed Huntress