Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Gouge question

Not sure how to explain this question -

saw a couple of YouTube videos and noticed that one person was using the
spindle gouge differently than I'd seen before.

I've seen the pulling cut on end grain where you insert the gouge and turn
the face to the 10 o'clock position and pull towards you.

This guy was sort of doing that on the cylinder - he would go from right to
left "normally" - with the gouge riding the bevel and the point of the gouge
pointing in the direction of the cut. Then when he reached the left end, he
just rotated the face 180 degrees and with the gouge still pointing to the
left, pulled back to the right and continued the cut.

Is this a normal technique, advanced, unusual, etc.

Seems to me that for a newbie like me who keeps rapping his knuckles on the
chuck that learning this technique might prove useful.

Just bothers me that it appears that he is not riding the bevel at all.

FWIW, from what I could see it appears that the wings of the gouge were
ground back a bit.

Maybe I've missed something.

Thanx,

Vic
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't