KYHighlander

Default help getting my shop organized!

just dump all that wood waste in your compost heap.

--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Rick Gibson" wrote in message
I tend to keep small stuff in those metal parts bins with 40 - 60 plastic
drawers. One drawer will hold 100 #8 2.5 inch screws easily. After

that
it goes downhill. I have a number of tool boxes around that hold various
tools.

Tom you sound organized I hate people like that :-)

On a lighter note I did manage to pick up $400 worth of oak and walnut
boards at $3 / bd ft. It all was 1" thick except for 2, 10 ft oak boards
which were 2" thick and a foot wide and they were charged as if they were

1"
thick. The total was actually $396 but since those two boards were

thicker
he rounded it up to $400. I noticed a couple more like that but was

running
low on cash so will pick them up next time. Stuff has all been cut and
stored in a shed for 10 years. Same guy who sold me the wood has a son

with
a pig farm and they come and pick up the sawdust and shavings for bedding

so
I don't even have to worry about getting rid of that.

Rick

--
webservant

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca
Wycliffe Bible Translators Caribbean http://www.wycliffecaribbean.org
Journaling / mental health http://www.pipcom.com/~jpeacock/
Bothwell Baptist Church http://www.forministry.com/CAONBCOOQBBC1

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On 3 Mar 2004 13:37:23 -0800, (dhmeiser) wrote:

OK how about sharing your tips and
methods for keeping such things as your hand power tools, their
accessories
organized. How do you keep such items as nails, screws and other
hardware
sorted and redably available. Also how do you keep small items shuch
as
screw bits and such orderly.

The tablesaw is the center of the shop. All of the blades and jigs
pertaining to its use are stored in a roll around base cabinet that
butts up to the tablesaw and doubles as an outfeed surface.

The rest of the shop has workstation wall cabinets. There's a shaper
wall unit for cutters that also holds the routers and their bits.

There's a sanding wall unit that holds the sanders and the paper and
belts that they need.

There's a drilling wall cabinet that holds the drills and bits and
fixtures pertinent to drilling.

There's a hand tool cabinet that holds planes and scrapers and such.

There's a base unit that's divided into sections that holds electrical
tools, plumbing tools, drywall and masonry tools, etc. In another
section of this base unit I store the bench top drill press, lunch box
planer, bench top mortising machine, and their appurtences.

I've a Kennedy roll around that holds chisels, wrenches, screwdrivers,
measuring tools, etc.

Big things hang on the walls. Every wall of my shop is covered in
pegboard. I hang levels, straightedges, shovels, hammers, pry bars,
etc.

There is an entire area devoted to finishing tools and supplies.

There is another area devoted to hardware and this has metal shelving
that holds boxes that separate the hardware into screws, nails, nuts
and bolts, glue, various adhesives, etc.

There is a rolling clamp rack that holds every clamp that I own.

There is another rolling rack that holds sheet goods.

Short stock that is too good to be thrown out is stored in plastic 55
gallon drums (with cut off tops - available for about ten bucks
apiece) that sit on roll arounds.

All of the major tools are on roll arounds so that they can be stored
out of the way but brought into play as needed.

From the ceiling I hang air tool hoses, extension cords, and odd
lengths of wire and rope.

All the long lengths of wood are stored beneath the shop in racks.

If the Unisaw is the center of the shop, the workbench is the heart of
the shop.

In a cabinet above the workbench I keep things like moisture meters,
humidity meters, delicate measuring devices - and a bottle of
Tullamore Dew.

The key to having an organized shop is to have a place for everything
- and put the stuff back where it belongs every morning.

That's a low impact way to start your day and think about the work
ahead.

And don't get into that Tullamore Dew too early in the day.

The shop will surely be a mess.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
(Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/