Swingman

Default OT - Social Security

"todd" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"todd" wrote in message

Then I guess you're missing the point.

Welp, you guess wrong ... you missed the first point, and haven't been
anywhere near it yet.

Just because I'm not responding to whatever point you are, doesn't mean

I've
missed the one I'm referring to.

LOL ... say what?

Simply try addressing the point in the thread that _you_ originally jumped
in to.

Most of the congress types will end
up not having to count on their retirement plan or SS to be a major

source
of retirement income because it will represent a small portion of

their
net
worth.

You can't back that contention up with figures. "Most" of the 535 in
congress aren't "wealthy" and will gladly receive their pensions ... a

much
better deal than you will get with SS..

Fine. You show me the stats on the net worth of congress people when they
leave office and then we'll talk.

Don't look now, but _you_ brought up "net worth" of congressmen, _you_ back
up what you brought up.

There's only one thing they respond to, and that's getting re-elected.

Make
them think they won't get re-elected if they don't modify SS, and then

it
will change.

We been doing it your way for forty years ... hasn't worked yet. Make

them
eat their own dog food and the menu will change.

BS. There hasn't been an outcry to change SS in the past 40 years because
the seasoned citizens are the most disciplined voting group in the

country.
You go talking about making sweeping changes to SS as an elected
representative and see where that gets you. You tell me when there was a
major voter push to modify SS in a substantial way that would bring the

cost
of the program under control.

You just missed it, dude ... you were obviously too young to have noticed.
There has been an outcry about the SS fund for years and it has been an
issue in almost every local campaign for congress since I was in High School
.... I even debated it in HS in 1961 ... before you were born.
..
Absent that, I have a deal to make with the gubmint. I'm 36 years old

and
have been paying (along with my employers), SS taxes for roughly 20

years
now. OK, gubmint, you keep all of that money and just let me off this
merry-go-round. Let me keep my 7.65% or whatever the percentage is

that
comes (directly) out of my paycheck each month. I'll add that to my

other
investments and you'll never hear from me again.

Until you show up at the emergency room without the means to pay because
your "investments" didn't pan out, then my property tax dollars will

have
pay the bill.

Well, I figure about $100,000 has been put in on my behalf so far, so I'll
charge my emergency room stay to that. And I tell you what...don't worry
about me. Maybe you need a nanny state, but I don't.

With an attitude like that, live long enough and you _will_ get one.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04