Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Gentry Bob Gentry is offline

Default Cole drill, mod

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:07:25 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 11/2/2011 6:15 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

For the 2 Cole Drills that I have, the ratchet gizzy is just threaded..
right-hand internal thread (for clockwise turning of a drill during
cutting).

There are threads above the ratchet and handle hole on these versions,
which are the type that the drill adapter was available for.

I put a wrench to it gently without success. Not going to mess with
something that's working for me until I'm done with this task. Hard to
see clearly, but it almost appears as if there's a key in there, but it
would be impractical to cut a square ended key slot right up to a
shoulder, so maybe it's just a bit of debris.

It is a genuine Cole, but there's no threads above the handle. The
spindle steps down in diameter for the ratchet and there's a very small
gap between the ratchet and this shoulder. When I'm done, I'll haul the
head over to the microscope for a good look-see. If I think it is
threaded, I'll soak it a while with penentrant before trying again.
Adding power could be very useful in the future, but for this job,
though tedious, the slow rpm works great.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon
Just pulled the handle off my Cole.

Put the Cole on the bench, put a Crescent wrench on the drill shaft
with the 'chuck locking bolt head between the jaws and the wrench
handle on the 1-1/8" 'post'. Put a slip-joint wrench on the ratchet
wheel and the wheel turned off real easy. (maybe should have put some
pads between the jaws and the ratchet, but there were no marks left on
the ratchet)

The drill shaft to ratchet wheel threads are 1/2"-13.
(watch that the ratchet prawl spring and prawl don't try to fly away
grin.

I didn't get the power drive attachement with the drill, but it should
be as easy project to make one.

HTH
Bob
rgentry at oz dot net