Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Cole drill, mod

On 11/2/2011 6:15 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

For the 2 Cole Drills that I have, the ratchet gizzy is just threaded..
right-hand internal thread (for clockwise turning of a drill during
cutting).

There are threads above the ratchet and handle hole on these versions,
which are the type that the drill adapter was available for.

I put a wrench to it gently without success. Not going to mess with
something that's working for me until I'm done with this task. Hard to
see clearly, but it almost appears as if there's a key in there, but it
would be impractical to cut a square ended key slot right up to a
shoulder, so maybe it's just a bit of debris.

It is a genuine Cole, but there's no threads above the handle. The
spindle steps down in diameter for the ratchet and there's a very small
gap between the ratchet and this shoulder. When I'm done, I'll haul the
head over to the microscope for a good look-see. If I think it is
threaded, I'll soak it a while with penentrant before trying again.
Adding power could be very useful in the future, but for this job,
though tedious, the slow rpm works great.

Thanks,

Jon