Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FIT slashed

harry wrote:

The PV panel could be fitted to at least 50% of all houses,

And would still make **** all difference to national carbon footprint.

And treble the price of electricity.

there are
few sites for windmills and micro-hydro power. There are FIT payment
for these too but few sites.

All useless.

These schemes use zero fossil fuel

No, they use almost the same fossil fuel. Over the entire country, as te
gas backup still has to stay in hot standby mode.

and will be market viable to in the
near future.

No, they will never be viable vis a vis nuclear.

The FIT scheme is about bringing the technology forward
and inculcating the public with it'svalue. In fifty years it will be
the major/only producer of domestic power.

Complete ******** that only a person with no understanding of
engineering or cost benefit accounting could state.

Stuff like heat pumps and co-generation still needs fossil fuel.

No it doesn't. It needs nuclear fuel.

RENEWABLE energy is the thing that still needs fossil fuel. It depends
on it. Nothing else can back it up fast enough in the UK (albeit at such
huge inefficiencies that at least one study has concluded we will in
fact use MORE gas with renewable energy, than without).

My own thing (insulation) needs no further fuel once installed and I
have zero energy use/export power. I export enough electric power for
two other houses (assuming them to use the same power as I do.)

Not midnight in winter you dont.

BTW I have got time switches for my freezers so they won't come on at
night and only use free electricity by day. I estimate this will cut
my electric bill by a further 5%.

That and insulation are the only things you have done that make a
positive difference nationally. But you should run freezers at might on
low cost baseload power and scrap the solar panels. That would do the
country MORE good.
..