Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default FIT slashed

"harry" wrote in message

The PV panel could be fitted to at least 50% of all houses, there are
few sites for windmills and micro-hydro power. There are FIT payment
for these too but few sites.

These schemes use zero fossil fuel and will be market viable to in the
near future.

that is rubbish.

they use lots of fossil fuel in the manufacture of the panels, and
associated fittings.
they use fossil fuel in their shipping.
they use fossil fuel in their fitting and maintenance.

There is little chance that they will actually return more energy than was
used over their life time.
This is especially true of windmills.

Anyone that thinks they don't use fossil fuels is living in a different
world to the rest of us.
The ones that claim so are just lying and are probably using carbon offsets
to back it up.
Carbon offsets are just a mythical product invented so they can lie about
being green.

The FIT scheme is about bringing the technology forward
and inculcating the public with it'svalue. In fifty years it will be
the major/only producer of domestic power.

So we are going dark then.

Stuff like heat pumps and co-generation still needs fossil fuel.

They can use solar!
But you are correct.
Even nuclear uses fossil fuels.

Everything uses fossil fuels, there is no substitute being used.
Until everything is electric and we are generating it all using nuclear we
will still be using fossil fuels.

My own thing (insulation) needs no further fuel once installed and I
have zero energy use/export power. I export enough electric power for
two other houses (assuming them to use the same power as I do.)

BTW I have got time switches for my freezers so they won't come on at
night and only use free electricity by day. I estimate this will cut
my electric bill by a further 5%.