Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default FIT slashed

In message
,
harry writes
On Nov 2, 9:12*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 01:36:30 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
Small PV arrays reduce the size needed on th grid as electricity is
produced locally.

So when the sun sets (or is clouded out) you sit in the dark? Don't
watch telly or use any other electrical appliance?

I think that power generators will take into account sunlight
intensity and national cloud patterns to predict needs.

Not with the total installed capacity of less than 1% of demand. ISTR
they work with a 20% margin of spinning reserve. So if a nuke station
and a big coal fired station fall off line at the same time (say
3,400,000 kW) the grid struggles but doesn't collapse.

They already look at weather forecasts.

Mostly for the temperature, if it gets cold the demand for space
heating shoots up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Solar PV can be only part of the plan. We need all these renewables,
tidal, wave, geothermal etc.

Preferably the ones with little environmental/visual impact and having a
realistic financial payback.

But with PV, everyone can participate.

Not really. You have agreed to a *seed* publicity plot planted on your
roof. If the idea germinates and passers by think it worth planting
their own, the payback benefits will quickly deteriorate. Meanwhile the
govt. gets a free ride convincing the public that energy conservation is
important.

Also if my PV packs in, it is not a national disaster as it would be
if a major primary substation/power station had problems.

True. It will also help the unemployment statistics when someone comes
out to do the repairs.

regards

--
Tim Lamb