Swingman

Default OT - Social Security

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

What makes you say it is a better deal than SS?

Read my previouse message with the statistics from the Congressional Reseach
Office, then tell me it is NOT a "better deal"

Did you compare
figures for the amount they contribute and receive as compared to SS.
SS and Federal retirement are not direct alternatives, they are
completely different. Federal retirement is similar to what a
corporation pays as a retirement, it is not intended as a back up
system like SS is.

Congress critters got BOTH CSRS and SS.

Again, quoting the CRO:

1. Full coverage under SS and CSRS 2. The "CSRS Offset" plan, which includes
both CSRS and SS, but with CSRS contributions and benefits reduced by SS
contributions and benefits.

3. FERS plus SS

4. SS alone

"All members pay SS payroll taxes equal to 6.2% of the SS taxable wage base
of ($84,900 in 2002). Members covered by FERS pay 1.3% of full salary to the
Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. [Congress kicks in 11% of the
Members' salary as its contribution]. Members covered by CSRS Offset pay
1.8% of the first $84,900 of salary and 8.0% of salary above this amount
into the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04