Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RPC to XMFR question

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:19:22 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:38:46 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

-- Bruce --

Greetings Bruce,
I already have # 8 or # 6 wires in the conduit for a machine that's
leaving. I just don't remember what gauge and it's probably the
lighter gauge. If I have the heavier gauge then that's great and I may
be able to get rid of the xmfr. If not then I'll connect the machine
with the xmfr and when I have some time and some help and some more
money pull some new wire and get rid of the xmfr.
Thanks,
Eric

Before you start all the work on the install at 240V 1-Ph and the RPC
and step-up transformer and all the associated garbage...

Call the Utility wonks on your island and ask them what the hoops are
to get a second transformer set and run an Open Delta 3-phase 240V
line - they do that a LOT for smaller loads like well pumps and
elevator machines. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Better, they place two more small transformers so you can have Delta
240V. Best, a separate rack of transformers for 277/480V Wye or 480V
Delta 3-Ph service - and if you mess up Real Bad you won't knock out
your lights too.

You might get lucky and they won't charge a ton for the service
transformer rack and the hookup. Helps if you let them know where to
go and get a custom part machined up in a hurry, too.

If they'll hook you up for a reasonable fee, you can always get a
slightly used 240V or 480V "Instant Service Switchboard" from a used
equipment broker and you can be up with Real 3-Phase fairly quickly,
and for not all that much.

And like PM said, changing out the surge arrestor boards is cheap if
that's all you need to run it native at 240V. Keep It Simple, Son!

-- Bruce --

Greetings Bruce,
The nearest 3 phase is a little over 1000 feet from my shop. Back in
1997 I was quoted $15,000 just for the wire. Then $1800 per pole
because the poles carring 3 phase have to be taller than the ones
carrying single phase. I guess that was their way of saying no. They
did however push under the road from the pole across from my place for
what amounted to no charge. So I have 600 amps available. Thanks for
the advice though. It never hurts to ask in these tyoes of situations.
Since I already have a shop all powered up it's no hassle now dealing
with the RPC because it's been running for years.
Eric