IMM

Default mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system

"Ian Tracey" wrote in message
hi all,

been trawling through the search engines for two days and decided I
know less about the options I have than when I started.

The Problem:
I currently have an open vented heated system, that is under speced
from the boiler point of view and I am trying to suss out what is the
best road map to change the system to what I want without ripping it
all out in one go as I can not afford it.

Main issues to be sorted a
When the heating system runs the overflow overflows constantly
Hot water is at too low pressure
I would like to add a radiator in the loft at some point as it is a
walk in room

Solutions ?

I am thinking that using a thermal store will give me the mains
pressure hot water I want while still using the open vented system
Installing an airseperator from what I read on the net should stop the
overflow issue, but not found one that I can buy
convert the system at a later date to either a closed system or buy a
boiler that is already a closed system to get the hot water in the
loft. Can you get such boilers that are not combi boilers or do I
need to install the parts. If that's the case, do I need to put the
expansion vessel near the boiler and hence in the kitchen..

How would others tackle the problem ? useful urls for suppliers like
the air vent would be welcome, the ones I have found seem to be
targeted at just removing the air

I determine You need:

1. a new boiler.
2. a rad in the attic above the cold water tanks
3. better hot water pressure for high pressure showers.

Solution:

1. a new "system boiler" that has the pump and expansion vessel
incorporated.
2. a DHW only heat bank that has a boiler coil incorporated, to give:
a) high pressure hot and cold supplies,
b) a pressurised CH system that will allow your radiator in the loft

The above will allow rads and hot water anywhere in the house. You can
start by installing a heat bank only, and then the boiler and rad when money
is available.

http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.albion-online.co.uk
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (look at thermal storage [heat banks])