Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Can this yard furniture be saved?

On Oct 29, 7:16*pm, Norminn wrote:
On 10/29/2011 10:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Here are pix of (I think) wrought iron yard furniture that I have
allowed to deteriorate for years. Rusted to hell.

I really like the furniture, esp. the table has a lovely glass top
that I put in. *So I would like to rehab. them.

But is this feasible as a DIY job? *In terms of time and effort?

If anybody thinks it's worth a try, what would you use to remove the
rust and prep for *repainting? *I have heard good and bad about Naval
Jelly. *Is there a "professional" product that would do a better job?

TIA for any help.

This is a new Tiny Pic account, so hope it comes through OK.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&cur....

HB

It would be lots more work and expense than it is worth .. the mesh
seats will still rust through. *Apply the cost of rust remover, paint to
a new set of furniture )

***Tx, man -- but it's not "mesh" seat - it's a solid metal lattice.
That said, I tend to agree -- after checking prices at sandblasting
places
down in the industrial areas -- that it's more expense than I can
handle.

Probably more work, too, if I heed the DIY suggestions of other kind
poster
about renting sand blaster; buying special wire brush for drill;
draping
furniture with acid-soaked sheets, etc.

So I'm figuratively starving to death between various bales of hay.

What I might have to end up doing is a quick and dirty fix to just get
off as much rust as possible, then slap on a couple of coats of
something sturdy -- thanks, guys, for recommendations. I HATE
settling for a half-***ed job, but the numbers are against me.

Any more thoughts welcome!

HB