Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT - If Gaddafi had lived in Amercia, he would have belongedto the Tea Party.

On 10/30/2011 7:35 PM, wrote:
On Oct 30, 3:02 pm, wrote:

While I'm sure that happens on occasion I'm think what happens the
majority of the time is that the college educated person gets a higher
paying job and earns more over the course of his life than the guy
without one. So if you play the odds you get a degree, if you're capable
of it. That doesn't mean you get ahead it just means your chances are a
lot better.

Strange that you should make this argument since you did not go to
college until most of your working life was over. And then you got a
degree in political science and yet you have not mentioned that you
ever worked where that degree would be an advantage.

I made that argument because I think the facts prove it's true. When I
was a young man it was even more true. Back in the late 60s and early
1970s if you got a college degree you almost certainly got a better job
and made more in your lifetime than a high school grad did. Now if you
get a degree it's not so cut and dried as that. It is really just
something that adds to your chances of getting a better job.

As for me personally, I never did get any work related to my college
degree. But then I know lots of people who can say the same thing. The
main reason I got a degree in political science is that when I first
started college that is what I majored in. When I went back many years
later it was to get trained specifically to become a paralegal.

After getting that training it turned out that virtually all of the
classes for it fell under the umbrella of political science. So with the
credits I had from my youth, and the credits I got from getting my
paralegal certification, I nearly had enough credits to get a B.A. in
political science. At that point it seemed like finishing up and getting
a degree was the thing to do. That's how I wound up with a degree in
political science.

I can tell you that being a student at 48 and older it's a different
ballgame. I went to learn and to do a good job, unlike when I was a kid.
So I did it the right way and got the most out of it. After completing
my formal education in my fifties I was able to really see the value of
it, and sadly how much it would have been for me had I been mature
enough when I was young to have done it when I was in my 20s. But that's
life and I wasn't ready to do it then. Now that I am educated I see it's
real value. Sure it can lead to a good job but there is a lot more to it
than just that. If you don't get one that is something you never learn
or benefit from.

Steve Jobs was in the ground floor of the
computer's invention.

Actually Steve Jobs was not in on the ground floor of the computers
invention. Read "
Eniac " by Scott McCartney.

Man, you are picky. Okay, if you want to talk about the ground floor it
was in WWII with the way they started using crude computers to figure
out how to accurately fire the guns on battleships. You could say that
was the ground floor. But if you're talking about the ground floor of
the personal computer industry then Jobs and Wosniak were there in its
infancy. The point being Jobs was there at the right time and place
where a new industry and product were just coming into being. I'd say
that made him lucky as well as smart. But then luck plays a big role in
life, period.

Hawke