Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tub with aqueous degreaser (Limed glassware)

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:42:20 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 10/29/2011 12:33 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In articleeNmdnXvz0oRVqTXTnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@giganews. com,
Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

On 10/25/2011 9:54 PM, Ignoramus10092 wrote:
I have a plastic tub and I wonder if I can fill it with an aqueous
degreaser solution, like Simple Green, and keep it there more or less
indefinitely. I would use that for parts washing. I just cannot
reconcile myself with buying flammable, expensive and hazardous
petroleum based solvent. I want something cheaper, greener, and
safer. So... Will a tub filled with simple green solution, work OK to
degrease stuff? Say, leave stuff overnight in it? If this works, I
would just sell off my parts washer designed for petroleum.

"Cascade" powdered automatic dishwasher detergent works great, best if
as hot as possible. I won't use it in my dishwasher, it etches my
glassware.

If you recall from the saga of phosphate-free dishwasher detergents in
July 2011 (subject: Dishwashing machines need phosphates), one effect of
inadequate phosphate levels is cloudy glassware.

Is the glassware etched, or is it coated with a lime film? Coating is
fixable, etching is not.

There is an incomplete article on the problem on page 8 of the October
2011 issue of Consumer Reports, showing heavy liming. The article is
incomplete because they compared only phosphate-free detergents, but did
not provide the control, a standard pre-ban detergent. They also missed
that there are various kinds of hardwater, and that the kind of glass
matters: I see different results with polycarbonate drinking glasses
(used in the bathrooms for safety), ordinary soda-lime glass,
borosilicate pyrex glass, and real lead crystal glass.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ctober/home-ga
rden/dishwasher-detergents/overview/index.htm

To remove the lime, soak the glassware in a strong vinegar solution. If
that fails, use a a dilute solution of battery acid (sulphuric).

And, to prevent re-occurrence, one can provide phosphates. One source
is Finish "Glass Magic":
http://www.finishdishwashing.com/pro...rmance-booster
.php

The MSDS shows Glass Magic to be composed largely of the sodium
tripolyphosphate that used to be in dishwasher detergent. I assume that
because this is not sold as a detergent, it escapes the phosphate ban.
The button that leads to the MSDS is at the bottom of the webpage.

Joe Gwinn

Thanks! I read somewhere that adding TSP to dishwashers and laundry
washers helps. I did buy some TSP this weekend but have yet to try it.

I did mention using TSP, and had been using it. It helps a lot, but
seems to leave its own film, and I have continued to dig.

Be sure that you get real Trisodium Phosphate, not for instance sodium
silicate sold as "TSP".

FYI, one of my wife's girlfriends just ran into the skunky dishwasher
smell problem that started me on the quest. The friend has the same
model of Bosch dishwasher as I do. What has changed is that when the
friend called Bosch, they told her right out that the phosphate-free
detergent is the problem, and did not try to sell her a new machine.

I don't know if Bosch ever did this, but there were plenty of tales of
appliance dealers selling people new dishwashers, knowing full well that
there was probably nothing wrong with the machine.

Joe Gwinn

In our new house with the new dishwasher we are on a well. Even though
the water is fairly soft we kept finding a film on the dishes after
washing. No matter what kind of dishwasher detergent we used and even
after adding TSP. So I bough some "JET DRY". This has eliminated the
film and the dishes really do get way drier. I'm kind of shocked that
the stuff works so well. I imagine any brand of this kind of stuff
would work as well, Jet Dry is just what they sell at the little store
close to me.
Eric