Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default crimping faq

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:23:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

They do use a heart shaped crimp - but so do most other terminals for
flex. Insulated connectors are quite rare in just sort of squashing them
up.

Thanks for the clarification. It was just those on the TLC site, as
linked from the wiki, appeared to be the squash them up type rather
than the fold a heart type, so I wasn't sure whether there were two
different types with different names.

So you have their PR3 model. It doesn't look like it is a ratchet
type, is it?

It's a cantilever design. That produces enough force easily to crimp the
connector fully without the pain of a ratchet. I suppose it isn't quite so
foolproof, though. I do quite a bit of car wiring and find it as near
perfect as any tool I have. But expensive if you won't use it much. Some
of their cheaper ones may be OK - I've never had a problem with anything
from them.

I would not use them enough to justify the cost of a PR3. I was
thinking of their PR4 model. It is a ratchet, which I understand
provides the right amount of force and is best for beginners. I was
surprised they sell the pliers that were explicitly criticised in the
faq. The faq says only to use them to shear bolts but I've always used
a hacksaw for that purpose.

Do you crimp coax connectors too? At the moment, I use the screw on F
connectors. Is there any advantage using the crimp type?

TIA,
Fred