Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doc Doc is offline

Default OT, but relevant .................. air beds .......

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote in
:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 05:11:23 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Did you have air loss where it would repressurise during the night. I
had a friend in the hospital and her bed would pump itself up every 10
minutes or so.

That's not what you think it is... It does that 10-minute cycle
deliberately, and the mattress pad has two different zones kinda like
two cheap I-beam beach mattresses put together out of phase. ABABAB

It's to avoid (and/or heal) bed-sores in people who have poor
peripheral circulation and can't move at all, from either paralysis or
sedation - the mattress pad does the periodic moving and shifting FOR
them.

-- Bruce --

Also the control over the pump in the case of a home air bed is manual. I
only use the pump when I want to change the pressure and have not done so
in over a year. And to alleviate obvious concerns, no they do not leak if
from a good company. I did have one start to leak after ten years, but I
suspect that the number of moves I had made and the technology of that
bed contributed to the problem.(you can only fold up an air bladder so
many times) I could have just patched the leak as the bed was made of a
latex material, but it was easier to use it as an excuse to upgrade.