Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Short cycle alarm

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:35:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On 10/30/2011 8:46 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Got water again. SHMBO is happy. I guess I'll never teach her to crap
in a bucketVBG I feel kind of dumb. The control box has motor
overloads. Only had the pump since '82 and didn't know that. At least
it was a cheap fix.

OK, the problem was short cycling. Air bladders out of air and pump
running 15 seconds to make pressure. I'd like to build a better mouse
trap. I'm thinking of a short cycle alarm. Get a timer relay that
trips when power is applied. If power drops before timer runs out,
apply power to buzzer. Should be just a few relays and wiring. But my
brain is pea size when it comes to EE logic. Can somebody draw this
up? Or, I'm open to another idea.

Karl

Hey Karl,

Allen-Bradley makes a nice timer. They can be set up in many modes.
They would handle the pump relay (not the pump direct). I use one of
these in a similar manner to protect my air compresser so it doesn't
run too long or too often.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Relays-and-Timers/Dial-Timing-Relays

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/700-br020_-en-p.pdf