Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Benny Fishhole[_2_] Benny Fishhole[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Senate Republicans vote to kill Obama's jobs bill..Why Do Republicans Hate America?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:07:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 30, 7:01*pm, Hawke wrote:

I did. From what I learned there I can tell you that a newsgroup about a
trade like metalworking will probably have mainly tradesmen in it.

Bad assumption. RCM is not about a trade like metalworking. Note the
R. That stands for recreational.
In other words it is a group about recreational metalworking. Which
tends to say the people who frequent it do metalworking for fun not as
a trade. In other words it is not a newsgroup about a trade. It is a
newsgroup for people that enjoy metalworking.

If it
was an engineering group I'd expect most people would have college
degrees. Assuming most people here are metal working related workers I
think it's a fair assumption that most people in this group don't have
degrees. 75% of the public has no college degree. If we are
representative of that population then most people here don't have a
degree. If we are representative of metalworkers in general then you
would expect that population to be less well educated than the general
public.

Ah but we are not representative of metalworkers in general. We are a
bunch of people who have a hobby of metalworking and like to discuss
metalworking. And I do not know where you get the idea that
machinists are less educated that the general public.

It really does not bother me that you express opinions, whatever they
are. *I do try to point out to you where you make logical errors.
Such as the one above on statistics.

To make a charge that I've made a statistical error you have to prove
it. But you don't have a clue how many people here have college degrees.
You just made a guess. OTOH, I estimated based on education level
statistics how many people here should have a college education. If you
think I am wrong then I say show me that more than 50% of the people
here have a degree in something.

The error you made was assuming that the folks that post in RCM are
representative of the general public. But they are not. Just the
fact that they post in a newsgroup means they are different from the
general public.
I do not have to prove how many people here have college degrees to
know you made an error, You made an error you in your initial
assumption. That is the statistical error you made.

I guess that explains it. You aren't editing things here though. You are
having a casual conversation that is on another level. It's informal.
Anything goes.

Anything goes. I guess that includes bad logic, false statements,
lies, etc. That may apply to you, but I try to be rational even in
informal conversations.

Dan

Hack is a douche bag.