Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default What causes this?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:24:31 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 07:25:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
And buying large washers from the local hardware store leaves
you open for almost any flavor of alloy -- often from the same bin. :-
DoN.

I don't know about their alloy but the thicknesses can vary considerably
within the bin.

Half a foot of snow in October???
Support Global Warming!

In truth everyone has a valid point although I am not sure that it
explains the problem entirely.

I am about to give up using washers, at least the 2" variety for the
very reason you state: The thickness varies quite a bit, the quality
varies also. Their availability has decreased: I used to be able to go
to Fastenal and rummage in their bin and pick the ones that were
useful. Fastenal no longer stock them. You can order them but then you
have to take what they send you.

Anyway, to confuse matters further: Here is the first trial I did
today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7627882701769/

Make of it what you will. The next thing is to try increase the
distance between the plates and/or try to run the whole assembly on
its side so the bubbles have a free exit.

I included a picture of a piece that ended up like pig's breakfast
just to show that whatever it is that causes the pits it blasts its
way through 4 coats of resist if the conditions are right.

That is always assuming that the cause of the pitting in the different
pieces is the same.

One thing is for su Putting coffee filter between the electrodes
does not work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC